Sweet honeynut squash stuffed recipe made with sausage, apple, dried cranberries, crunchy celery and aromatic herbs!
Butternut Squash lovers there is a new hottie in town! Meet the Honeynut Squash, a hybrid variety that is a cross between a butternut and a buttercup squash. This mini-sensation has a sweeter profile and is favored for its small, individual serving size and rich flavor! It is great for this stuffed honeynut squash.
So sooo good!
Honeynut squashes are great for roasting because it allows the sugars in the flesh to caramelize, and this maximizes the flavor of the squash. However, it can also be used in any recipe as a substitute for butternut or other winter squash varieties.
What To Make With Honeynut Squash
- Soups and stews (like what we do with Butternut Squash Turmeric Soup)
- Roasted (by itself or like the stuffed honeynut squash we are making)
- Mashed, pureed
- Salads with nuts and cheeses
- Braising liquids
I honestly plan on making all of the above but for now let’s talk about this sausage and apple stuffed honeynut squash recipe that had me… (nervously clearing my throat) -actually hiding it away so others wouldn’t eat it!
I have never EVER done such a selfish thing, in fact I thrive on sharing the foods I made, but not this stuffed honeynut squash recipe and not this time! This first batch was all mine and I didn’t want it to end.
In case you think I am a terrible person, I did share the second batch with my family and gave some to my parents too 🙂 Oh, and I am sharing the recipe with all-of-you!
Are we good again?!
I hope so, and I hope you will give this recipe a go!
There is something extraordinary about this honeynut squash, sausage and apple combination that is to die for. This fall/ winter side dish will be on repeat at my house specially around the holidays because of it’s convenient size and amazing flavors!
Sausage & Apple Stuffed Honeynut Squash
- Sheet Pan
- 3 whole honeynut squash, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt and pepper
- 4 Andouille sausages
- 1 whole honeycrips apple, cubed
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tsp each oregano, sage, garlic herb
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Pre-heat oven to 400F degrees
- Wash the skin of honeynut squash and towel dry. Cut in half the lenghtwise. Remove the seeds and clean the cavity well. Brush the squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh rosemary. Bake for 30 minutes uncovered
- Meanwhile, heat oil in cast iron. Add sausage, apple, celery and sauté on medium heat for 15 minutes or until apple is soft and sausage start to turn golden brown. Add dried cranberries and season with salt, pepper, oregano, sage and garlic herb.
- Remove honeynut squash from oven. Fill the cavity with sausage apple mix. Top wtih fresh rosemary and serve.
Save this recipe to Pinterest for later!
Just hover over the image and click the “Save” button.