This Instant Pot Mushroom Wild Rice Soup is naturally gluten free and loaded with nutrients. Every bite of the earthy wild rice and mushrooms is sure to be a hit, especially on cold winter days!
A cold, blustery day calls for a meal that is so warm and comforting, it’ll have you putting your wool socks back in the drawer. Thankfully, this Instant Pot Mushroom Wild Rice Soup is perfect for chilly days or when you’re feeling under the weather. Every spoonful makes you feel warm and fuzzy!
Traditional wild rice soup is an earthy, comforting soup made with wild rice, chicken or turkey, fresh thyme, vegetables, and sometimes a splash of cream. Instead of opting to make my irresistible Chicken Wild Rice Soup, I loaded the naturally gluten free recipe with mushrooms and homemade bone broth. It’s easy to put together in the Instant Pot and incredibly delicious!
You can easily transform this into a keto, vegan, or vegetarian wild rice soup with a few simple adjustments. Make sure to check out the variations below to customize your own bowl of healthy comfort food!
What is wild rice?
It has a nice earthy flavor and is actually loaded with vitamins, fiber, antioxidants, and protein, making wild rice a great alternative to other kinds of rice. I usually buy 365 organic wild rice mix or Lundberg wild blend from Whole Foods but it’s also available online.
How long does it take to cook wild rice?
You’ll definitely be spending more time in the kitchen if you prefer to cook wild rice on the stove. Compared to basmati, brown, or white rice, wild rice usually takes at least 40 minutes when cooked in a pot of boiling water on the stovetop. I always prefer to cook it in the Instant Pot because it’s ready to eat in about 20 minutes!
Mushroom rice soup ingredients
- Wild rice – Cooked wild rice tastes naturally nutty and earthy. It’s a little more expensive than other kinds of rice but is well worth it for the rich flavors and health benefits.
- Mushrooms – There is no one perfect mushroom for this soup. Use your favorite kind or mix and match!
- Broth – I made this recipe with homemade bone broth but it can easily be swapped for vegetable, beef, or chicken broth.
- Vegetables – Just like most vegetable soup recipes, this mushroom soup has sauteed onions, carrots, celery, and garlic for lots of savory goodness.
- Herbs – Fresh thyme and a bay leaf will cook in the Instant Pot with the soup to infuse deep, herby flavors.
How to make wild rice soup in the Instant Pot
Turn your Instant Pot on Saute mode and saute the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until soft. Add the broth and water next, then the mushrooms and wild rice. Stir it well before adding in the fresh thyme and bay leaf.
Turn off Saute mode and seal the lid closed. Cook the soup on high pressure for 22 minutes, then naturally release the pressure for another 5 minutes. Release the remaining pressure.
Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf and give the finished soup one final stir. Serve and enjoy!
Can you make this on the stove?
You can make wild rice soup on the stove but it will take a lot longer. Saute the veggies in a soup pot over medium heat before adding the broth, water, mushrooms, rice, and herbs. Let it all simmer together until the rice is soft and tender.
To save yourself some time, cook the rice separately and stir it into the soup when it’s just about done.
Instant Pot wild rice soup is already naturally gluten free but you can easily switch up the recipe to accommodate other dietary needs:
- Vegetarian and vegan – Simply swap the bone broth for vegetable broth instead! Feel free to add even more vegetables to really pack in the nutrients. Kale, white beans, sweet potatoes, or squash would all be delicious.
- Keto and low carb – Wild rice and bone broth are both low in carbs but the onions and carrots in the soup aren’t keto-friendly. Instead, you can swap them for extra vegetables or greens to make up for the lost flavors.
- Add meat – Just like my Chicken Wild Rice Soup, a little meat goes a long way! Feel free to stir in pre-cooked chicken, ham, turkey, or beef once the soup is done cooking.
- Make it creamy – If you’re really craving a rich and comforting bowl of soup, stir in some heavy cream or coconut milk when it’s done cooking.
Hungry for more Instant Pot soup recipes?
Instant Pot Mushroom Wild Rice Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- fresh thyme
- 32 oz bone broth*
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 bay leaf
- Turn IP on sauté mode and add oil. When oil is hot add in onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Sauté, stirring occationally until vegetables have softened (10 minutes)
- Now add the broth and water, mushrooms and wild rice. Stir well. Finally add the bay leaf and fresh thyme.
- Turn off sauté mode. Cover the lid and turn valve in lock position. Cook on high pressure for 22 minutes. Allow for 5 minutes of NPR then release all remaining pressure.