Easy, delicious and SKINNY Gluten-Free Lemon Chicken Piccata. In this lighter version of the classic Chicken Piccata recipe, we ditch the pasta for a side of fresh veggies!
It was love at first sight!
A few years back while visiting my local Bertucci’s I decided to try the chicken dish displayed on a beyond appetizing photo which took half of the menu page. I was first attracted to the moody composition, then the ingredients. It had lemon slices, a light yellowish broth, a handful of herbs and lots of capers. It was called ‘Chicken Piccata’ which doesn’t describe much but the visual was convincing. Mouthwatering even!
Oh, and it was served over pasta. Pasta always seals the deal!
I loved it!
I loved it so much, this chicken piccata was my one and only choice for the following years.
But then this thing happens as you get older. You start to think* about the things you eat. You start to connect the things you eat and with how you feel. Or sometimes you downright develop an intolerance for certain foods and guess what? You make changes 😒
But I am not here to talk about these changes, the what’s and why’s… the day I am 100% this or that you will be the first to know, but for now I practice balance.
This is me turning that oh-so-amazing chicken piccata into this SKINNY-licious and by-the-way, just as amazing GLUTEN-FREE LEMON CHICKEN PICCATA!
Whoohoo is right! Cross this one from the
NO list and say YES to the most delicious, easy, flavorful and healthy chicken piccata recipe. In this lighter version of the classic lemon chicken piccata, we ditch the pasta for a side of fresh veggies (of your choice!).
A few notes about this lemon chicken piccata recipe:
- I don’t recommend adding lemon zest. Whenever I added lemon zest AND lemon slices the bitterness was overpowering, especially if you are having leftovers which hopefully you will.
- I used this gluten-free flour, it’s my go-to GF flour.
- Steam green beans and then toss them in cold-icy water to stop the cooking process and maintain the color (not turn brown)
- This recipe yields for extra broth. Feel free to reserve some to pour over leftovers.
- The recipe ask for 1/4 cup of white wine. While I strongly recommend adding wine to this recipe it is optional.
Other Chicken recipes to try:
If you make this chicken piccata recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Skinny Lemon Chicken Piccata
- 4 unit skinless boneless chicken cutlets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup gluten-free flour + 1 tbsp
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 whole lemon, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp capers
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 pinch fresh parsley
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper then dredge in flour, coating both sides.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Cook chicken on both sides until golden brown (about 3-5 minutes each side). Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Remove excess fat from skillet. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1 minutes). Add wine to deglaze and scrape up any brown bits from the skillet. Add chicken broth and reserved 1 tbsp gluten-free flour. Stir to combine. Add lemon slices, capers and butter. Cook on medium low (about 5 minutes).
- Transfer chicken back to skillet and season with fresh pasley. Serve with your choice of vegetable
Save this recipe to Pinterest for later!
Just hover over the image and click the “Save” button.