Roasted chicken breasts with sundried tomato, fresh mozzarella and chopped fresh basil makes this Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Caprese dish a feast for the stomach and the eyes.
Table of Contents
This one-pan skillet meal is loaded with flavors and textures. Creamy mozzarella, savory sun-dried tomato, and basil are the ultimate ‘caprese’ combination and make the chicken super flavorful. A great option for a family-friendly weeknight dinner as the chicken cooks up quickly with minimal effort. After a quick sauté , you can place it all in the oven while you prepare the rest of your meal.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe For Caprese Chicken
Flavorful: Loaded with flavorful ingredients.
Easy: Just a few simple steps to make this skillet meal of chicken & sun dried tomatoes.
Colorful: This chicken caprese will brighten up any winter’s day with this brilliant colors.
What is sundried tomato?
Sundried tomato is exactly that, tomatoes that have been dried out in the sun so they lose all their moisture. They become very flavorful and make a great addition to many dishes. You can find them dried and sold in bags or with oil in jars. The dry sundried tomatoes need to be rehydrated before you use them. Those that are sold in oil can be used straight from the jar and they can be chopped or turned into a paste to add a savory pop of flavor.
Ingredients For Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken
- Chicken breasts – Skinless, boneless chicken breasts are great but chicken thighs are a good option.
- Fresh mozzarella cheese – Fresh mozzarella is nice and creamy but you can also use bocconcini.
- Sun dried tomato – Sun dried tomatoes in oil creates a savory paste.
- Balsamic vinegar glaze – This glaze creates a nice sweet finish on the chicken.
- Olive oil – Extra virgin olive is best but any type will work.
- Fresh vine tomatoes – Use fresh tomatoes on the vine.
- Fresh basil – Fresh basil adds loads of flavor and color.
- Salt and pepper – Add salt and pepper to taste.
How To Make This Chicken Caprese Recipe
Step 1: Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the chicken and spread the sundried tomatoes on both sides.
Step 2: Sauté the chicken in hot oil in a cast iron skillet or an oven safe skillet until skin is golden brown.
Step 3: Place the mozzarella and tomato slices on top of each chicken breast. Scatter more tomatoes around the skillet if you wish.
Step 4: Bake for approximately 15 minutes and then top each breast with fresh basil and drizzle with glazed balsamic vinegar.
Tips and Variations
Change up the chicken. Instead of chicken breasts, use thighs or try turkey breasts or salmon filets instead.
Don’t skip the searing of the chicken. This step helps lock in flavor and moisture of this caprese chicken recipe.
Modify the cheese. Fresh mozzarella is soft and gooey but you can also use bocconcini, halloumi or paneer.
Try different herbs. The combination of mozzarella, tomato and basil is superb but if you’ve run out of basil you can use oregano or rosemary.
Caprese chicken usually has seasoned chicken, fresh tomatoes and basil and a balsamic sauce.
If you are avoiding dairy you can eliminate the cheese and still have a great tasting chicken dish.
If you want to use the dried sun-dried tomatoes you will need to rehydrate them. If possible opt for the tomatoes in oil as they are more flavorful and easier to work with.
Make Ahead and Storage
Make ahead: If you like to meal prep for the week ahead this baked caprese chicken recipe is a good option. It will keep well in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.
Storage: Store leftover sundried tomato chicken caprese in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. In the freezer, the chicken will keep for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the oven or the microwave.
Keep a jar of sundried tomatoes in the fridge so you can easily add a touch to your dishes. It adds loads of flavor and has a long shelf life so there’s no need to worry about it going bad.
More chicken recipes to try next time:
- Braised Chicken and Potatoes
- Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken
- Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Garlic Chicken Thighs and Green Beans Skillet
- Lemon Butter Chicken Thighs
FOR THIS RECIPE YOU WILL NEED:
Cast iron or oven safe skillet. I used a Le Creuset Classic Cast Iron Handle Skillet, 9″, color Sea Salt
Large cutting board for chicken that is dishwasher safe.
Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Caprese
- 1 Skillet
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomato preserved in oil
- 2 tbsp glazed balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- fresh vine tomatoes
- fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and sun dried tomato preserve on both sides.
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet or any oven safe skillet. Sauté the chicken until skin is golden brown about six minutes each side.
- Top the chicken with fresh mozzarella and tomato slices. Feel free to add extra tomatoes around the skillet.
- Bake at 400F degrees for 15 minutes. Top with fresh basil and drizzle with glazed balsamic vinegar.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.