Garlicky Kale & Mushroom Spaghetti; pasta nights are always so tasty, even more so when added to your favorite greens and tossed in a flavorful garlicky sauce.
Pasta nights are honestly my favorite! At some point I must have been dropped on a ship from Italy to Brazil, because I do not have the rice and beans blood in me… haha. All jokes aside, I would easily trade in any meal (and often do!) for a good plate of pasta 🙂
But let’s be honest, if I ate bowls and bowls of pasta -soon enough all that heavy carbs would weigh in on me, and probably you too my friend. So, whether we like it or not… ‘definitely a not for me’, we must sort-of pick and choose when it comes to this delicious dish.
Luckily we have so many options to choose from when it comes to our beloved pasta, and I don’t know about you but I want to try them all! Have you tried any of the new stuff ??
Here are a few of my favorite kinds of healthy pastas:
- Quinoa Pasta
- Buckwheat Noodles
- Sprouted-Grain Pasta
- Spelt Pasta
- Brown Rice Pasta
Another “cheat” way to eating a healthier pasta is to cut down on the sauce or eliminate completely. Instead, try replacing it with with flavorful ingredients such as shallots and garlic. Believe me this sauce has so much flavor, you won’t be missing the heavier stuff at all.
The delicious aroma of shallots and garlic sautéing in a pan is simply irresistible! I like to also add a touch of greens, whether that be kale or collard greens, colorful peppers or lots of herbs. Either of these choices seems to complement and enhance the flavors is such a marvelous way, you won’t want to stop eating it.
Now folks it’s time to delight yourselves on this delicious and easy dish, filled with aromatic flavors and rather nutritional, so you can feel good about eating it too 🙂
Garlicky Kale & Mushroom Pasta
- 12 oz brown rice pasta
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms of choice, sliced
- 3 cups lacinato kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup pasta water (reserved)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shaved parmigiano cheese
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and reserve about 1 cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a skillet and add the shallots and garlic, cook until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes until it softens and start to turn golden brow. Season mushrooms with salt and peper.
- Add chopped kale and toss to a gentle sauté (about 3 minutes) until leaves start to wilt but maintain it's shape.
- Transfer veggies to pasta bowl. Add reserved pasta water and toss to combine. Season with red pepper flakes and parmigiano cheese