Soft and tender inside but still able to handle your favorite sandwich fillings, this recipe for sandwich bread could not be any easier. This no-fail recipe bakes perfectly every single time!
Looking for recipes to make with homemade bread? How about bacon spinach grilled cheese? Everyone loves it (and it’s healthy for you too).
Table of Contents
There is nothing like the aroma of freshly baked bread! They even try to bottle up that scent and sell it in candles. But you just can’t replace the real thing.
For some reason, homemade bread has a reputation for being difficult or complicated. But sandwich bread recipes are actually pretty simple. My recipe only has six normal ingredients – and you probably already have them in your pantry.
And by using a stand mixer, the other difficult part – the kneading – is also taken care of. Just mix the ingredients together, let it rise, let the stand mixer knead the bread, let it rise again, and then form it into loaves and let it bake.
There are a few more steps than that, but that’s pretty close to how easy it is. When you learn how to make sandwich bread, you’ll never go back to store bought again.
What is sandwich bread?
Just like the name implies, this homemade bread is perfect for sandwiches. It’s a simple bread recipe without any additional nuts, seeds, or strong ingredients like swirls or cinnamon sugar.
It’s a basic loaf of bread with simple ingredients. The interior is soft and spongy with a golden crust. It slices easily and holds up to meat and cheese, French Toast, or even being grilled as a panini.
Basically, it’s an everyday loaf of bread you can use for everything!
- All-Purpose Flour: The base of the bread. If you need gluten-free ingredients, use your favorite 1:1 gluten-free flour.
- Active Dry Yeast: This creates a chemical reaction that makes the bread rise, which is what gives it the soft interior you love.
- Sugar: Interacts with the yeast to help the bread rise.
- Salt: Enhances all the other flavors to make it taste better.
- Warm Water: Lukewarm water is better for creating the perfect environment for the yeast to bubble up so the bread rises.
- Olive Oil: The fat in the olive oil tenderizes the bread so it’s softer.
what kitchen tools do I need to make this sandwich bread?
- a stand mixer
- measuring cups (1 cup size and 1/4 cup size)
- measuring spoons (tbsp and tsp sizes)
- two loaf pans for baking
How To Make A Sandwich Bread
Step 1: Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer. That’s the flour (four cups, reserve the remaining one cup for later), yeast, sugar, and salt. Give the dry ingredients a good mix using the hook attachment at medium speed. You will want to make sure that the yeast-sugar-salt ingredients are evenly distributed along the flour content.
Step 2: While the mixer is still running, add in water and oil slowly and simultaneously. The dough will be very sticky at this point.
Step 3: Now, you can start adding the remaining cup of flour in three parts. A third, a third, and a third until done and the dough is no longer sticking to the bottom of the bowl. Knead for 4-5 minutes until the dough is smooth.
Step 4: Transfer to a large oiled bowl and cover with a damp towel. Allow the dough to double its size for good results on your sandwich bread. This should take about half an hour. Alternatively, you can proof the dough in your Instant Pot on the yogurt setting for 15 minutes.
Step 5: Give the dough a good punch to deflate. Then transfer to a lightly floured surface. Form it into a ball and cut it into half using a knife or bench scraper. Form each half into a loaf or football shape without overworking the dough.
Step 6: Place in a greased or line loaf pan and allow the dough to rise until it reaches the rim of the pan.
Step 7: Bake for 40 minutes at 400F degrees. Avoid opening the oven to check. Turn the oven light on instead to see through the glass door, or open it very slightly and briefly if you need to check. When done, transfer the loaf of sandwich bread to a cooling rack.
Step 8: If you are opting for the topping, brush butter on top of the loaf while it is still hot, then sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning and/or sesame seeds.
Let the bread cool off before slicing it.
Tips For Success
- Read the recipe instructions thoroughly before you start.
- Prepare your workspace and have all the ingredients out and measured first.
- The toppings are optional, so decide if you are going to add a topping (seeds) and have those ingredients out as well.
- Move all your kitchen tools close-by so that the recipe is even easier to make.
Use this easy sandwich bread as the base for any toast or sandwich recipe that you like. Use it to make Shrimp Salad Sandwich for lunch. Or use it to make a fancy Breakfast Apple Pie French Toast for breakfast. And you can never go wrong with a reliable PB&J or ham and cheese sandwich for lunch too.
To Store: Wrap it up tightly in plastic wrap or wax paper and keep it in a breadbox at room temperature for 2-3 days.
To Freeze: Slice the bread first, then store the sliced bread in a freezer-safe food storage bag. Keep it in the freezer for up to six months.
Want More Bread Recipes?
- Brazilian Cheese Bread Recipe
- Honey Oat Bread
- Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- Instant Pot No Knead Artisan Bread
- Banana Bread with Candied Walnuts
Quick Sandwich Bread
- Stand Mixer
- Two Loaf Pans
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- 2 tbsp everything bagel seasoning or sesame seeds (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add in four cups of flour (reserve remaining one cup). Also add in yeast, sugar and salt. Using the hook attachment mix to combine the dried ingredients.
- Slowly but simultaneously add in warm water and oil. Keep mixer going on medium as you add the water and oil. The dough will be very sticky.
- Add in the remaining cup of flour in three parts, as the mixer runs on medium speed. Knead for 4-5 minutes until dough is smooth.
- Transfer to a greased large bowl. Cover wil damp towel and let the dough rise until it doubles the size (about half hour). Alternatively you can proof the dough in your instant pot on yogurt setting for 15 minutes.
- Punch the dough to deflate it down. Then transfer to a lightly floured counter. Form into a ball then cut in two equal size parts. Roll it slightly without overworking the dough to form into a loaf shape.
- Place each loaf in an greased or lined loaf pan and let it rise until dough reaches the rim of the pan.
- Bake at 400F degrees for 40 minutes. When done transfer to a cooking rack.
- If you are adding the everything bagel seasoning or sesame seeds (its optional), while the bread is still warm brush top of loaf with butter then sprinkle the seeds.
- Let the bread cool before slicing and serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.