This fail-proof quick sandwich bread recipe is soft and airy with a delicious thin crust. One recipe yield two loaves!
It’s hard to ignore that our world has dramatically changed. So I don’t mean to hide behind my recipes and pretend that everything is just fine, while I keep on publishing content that no one will have the ingredients for or the mindset to follow, myself included.
Life is pretty basic right now. And scary. So anything fancier than bread and soup, and a handful of kitchen staples is probably way out of league.
With this in mind I decided to bake some bread. I don’t know about you but bread gives me life! So I wanted to make some quick and easy fail-proof bread that we can eat at anytime, in a toast, in a sandwich, with soup or any way we like, any time of the day. Very simple!
I think that a lot of us are finding ourselves craving all the comfort foods that are closest to our heart, and for a lot of us that’s bread. I also hope that you will find baking to be therapeutic and fun! Plus this gives you one less reason to go to the grocery store 🙂
I truly hope you enjoy this recipe!
can anyone make this recipe?
Yes. There may be a million types of breads out there, but most of them only require a handful of basic pantry ingredients that you likely have in your kitchen right now. This recipe is fail-proof and super easy to make. My key suggestions to make this recipe as success are as follows:
- read the recipe instructions thoroughly before you start
- have all the ingredients out and measured (prep)
- decide if you are going to add a topping (seeds) and have those ingredients out as well
- lastly, have all the tools you need ready to go
what kitchen tools do I need to make this bread?
- a stand mixer
- measuring cups (1 cup size and 1/4 cup size)
- measuring spoons (tbsp and tsp sizes)
- two loaf pans for baking
how to make sandwich bread
- Pour the dry ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. That’s the flour (four cups, reserve remaining one cup for later), yeast, sugar and salt. Give the dry ingredients a good mix using the hook attachment on medium speed. You will want to make sure that the yeast-sugar-salt ingredients are evenly distributed along the flour content
- While the mixer is still running add in water and oil slowly and simultaneously. The dough will be very sticky at this point.
- Now you can start adding the remaining cup of flour in three parts. A third, a third and a third until done and dough is no longer sticking to the bottom of the bowl. Knead for 4-5 minutes until dough is smooth.
- Transfer to a large oiled bowl and cover with damp towel. Allow dough to double its size. This should take about half hour. Alternatively, you can proof the dough in your Instant Pot on yogurt setting for 15 minutes.
- Give the dough a good punch to deflate. Then transfer to a lightly floured surface. Form into a ball and cut into half using a knife or bench scraper. Form each half into a loaf or football shape without overworking the dough.
- Place in greased or line loaf pan and allow dough to rise until it reaches the rim of the pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 400F degrees. Avoid opening the oven to check. Turn oven light on instead to see through the glass door or open very slightly and briefly if you need to check. When done transfer to a cooling rack.
- If you are opting for the topping, brush butter on top of loaf while it is still hot, then sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning and/or sesame seeds.
- Let bread cool off before slicing it.
I must mention that I also recently published this Instant Pot No Knead Artisan Bread which is another fantastic tried and tested recipe that you might like to try. Artisan breads are crustier and have great flavor, but they take about 18-24 hours to proof, however thanks to the instant pot the proofing is done in only 4 hours. It’s a great bread to serve with olive oil for dipping, but I also love it as a morning toast.
Thanks for visiting. Stay well and healthy!
Quick Sandwich Bread
- Stand Mixer
- Two Loaf Pans
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- 2 tbsp everything bagel seasoning or sesame seeds (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add in four cups of flour (reserve remaining one cup). Also add in yeast, sugar and salt. Using the hook attachment mix to combine the dried ingredients.
- Slowly but simultaneously add in warm water and oil. Keep mixer going on medium as you add the water and oil. The dough will be very sticky.
- Add in the remaining cup of flour in three parts, as the mixer runs on medium speed. Knead for 4-5 minutes until dough is smooth.
- Transfer to a greased large bowl. Cover wil damp towel and let the dough rise until it doubles the size (about half hour). Alternatively you can proof the dough in your instant pot on yogurt setting for 15 minutes.
- Punch the dough to deflate it down. Then transfer to a lightly floured counter. Form into a ball then cut in two equal size parts. Roll it slightly without overworking the dough to form into a loaf shape.
- Place each loaf in an greased or lined loaf pan and let it rise until dough reaches the rim of the pan.
- Bake at 400F degrees for 40 minutes. When done transfer to a cooking rack.
- If you are adding the everything bagel seasoning or sesame seeds (its optional), while the bread is still warm brush top of loaf with butter then sprinkle the seeds.
- Let the bread cool before slicing and serving.