When it comes to sandwiches, it doesn’t get easier or more exciting than this Bacon Spinach Grilled Cheese. An elevated, gourmet version of the classic, it’s made with just 5 simple ingredients and is ready to eat in less than 15 minutes!
Grilled cheese is a lunchtime staple for a reason – it’s easy to make, only requires a few common ingredients, and is delightfully cheesy. Instead of settling for the classic butter, cheddar, and white bread combo, elevate your sandwich game with this Bacon Spinach Grilled Cheese!
It’s a gourmet grilled cheese made with sourdough bread, bacon, havarti cheese, and spinach. The process is as easy as the classic and the crave-worthy sandwich is ready to be enjoyed in less than 15 minutes. Serve it for a light lunch, quick and filling snack, or busy weeknight dinner.
Looking to turn this light lunch into a heartier meal? Pair your bacon grilled cheese with a bowl of homemade Tomato Gnocchi Soup or Chicken Noodle Soup. Comfort food doesn’t get much better than that!
- Sourdough – This thick bread toasts up nicely and gives your sandwich a sturdy base. Another hearty bread such as soda bread, an artisan loaf, or some beer bread would also work.
- Bacon – Your favorite precooked bacon adds a salty crunch. I prefer the deep flavors of smoked bacon.
- Havarti cheese – This mild cheese melts down perfectly and adds a necessary creamy element to every bite.
- Spinach – For a pop of freshness.
- Unsalted butter – This is the secret to turning white bread into a beautiful golden brown color when toasted.
How to make a bacon spinach grilled cheese
Take your grilled cheese game up a notch by throwing this bacon spinach grilled cheese sandwich together. It’s easy to make in just 4 steps:
Step 1: Brush a bit of melted butter onto each slice of sourdough bread.
Step 2: Toast the buttered bread in a nonstick pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Step 3: Top one half of your sourdough slices with the havarti, bacon, and spinach. Close each sandwich with the second slice of bread.
Step 4: Use a spatula to firmly press down on the sandwich. Cook until all of the ingredients are warmed through and the cheese has melted. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
More gourmet grilled cheese ideas
Looking to elevate the flavors of this spinach grilled cheese even more? Try swapping out some of the ingredients for more gourmet sandwich fillings, such as:
The best cheeses
- Aged cheddar – Adds an addictive sharpness.
- Smoked gouda – Smoked is the key word here. This creamy cheese pairs really well with bacon.
- Monterey jack – For those of you that enjoy a super mild cheese.
- Italian deli meats – Prosciutto, salami, pepperoni, or mortadella will give this sandwich a distinct salty, cured flavor.
- Ham – This classic grilled cheese add-in hits all the marks – sweet, smoky, and salty.
- Chicken or turkey – Shredded grilled chicken or turkey is tasty and filling.
Easy bread options
- Quick sandwich bread – The easiest way to add the classic taste of homemade bread to this sandwich.
- No-knead artisan bread – This gourmet-style bread can be easily made in the Instant Pot!
More fun add-ins
- Apple slices – For a hint of sweetness that complements the savory meat and cheese.
- Herb butter – An easy way to add just a touch of garlicky or herby goodness.
- Dipping sauces – A creamy alfredo, homemade ranch, basil kale pesto, or spicy aioli would pack a flavorful punch!
- Homemade herb salt – Finish off your grilled cheese with a dash of this homemade herb salt for extra flavor.
Turn this light lunch into a hearty meal by pairing it with some easy side dishes. Try serving your bacon spinach grilled cheese alongside some sweet potato fries, herb roasted carrots, or a bowl of warm tomato soup.
Looking for more easy and light lunches?
- Gluten Free Salmon Cakes
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- Tomato Basil Creamy Tortellini
- Baked Garlic Buffalo Wings
- Shrimp Salad Sandwich
Bacon Spinach Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices sourdough
- 12 slices havarti cheese
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Melt butter and brush on to both sides of each sourdough slice.
- In a large skillet toast the bread, two slices at a time. Place two slices of cheese on top of one of the bread slices. Next add two slices of bacon, a handful of spinach, another cheese slice and top with a toasted sourdough. Press firmly down with a spatula and cook until cheese is melted and sourdough is golden brown.
- Optional to add a fried egg on top!