This Veggie Tortellini Soup is a warming and comforting dish, perfect for those cool fall or cold winter nights. Super flavorful, incredibly easy to make and very satisfying, this soup is an all-around great recipe for the whole family!
Since all things must come to an end and we must accept it, as it is the flow of life… Summer came and went, in a blink-of-an-eye and now we (do I have your permission to include you??) must move on -hopefully gracefully- to the next phase, fall.
I like to think of nature as a wise teacher. It teaches us to be open and flexible, to trust and to let go, while gently reminding us to be present and enjoy what is. Plus, it’s an invitation to look for the positive things in every change.
Food for instance, is something that always get’s me excited. I know I’ve only said this a billion times before, but it’s true!! Whenever the seasons change my body is also ready for a change, and by that I mean my plate.
This past week we got a little hint of fall, so I hurried to my kitchen to make something warm, comfy and filling for my family to eat. The unexpectedly cool breeze coming through my open bedroom windows kept me up all night. It wasn’t until after 5 a.m that I gathered the energy to get up and put on some sox… oh yeah, and close the windows. A bit too late perhaps but hey, at least I got to sleep in because it was still summer vacation.
About the recipe…
Being the ‘sales sucker’ that I am, I picked up seeeeveral boxes of refrigerated tortellini at my local Whole Foods. The awesome thing about tortellini is that you can do so much with it!!
- serve with your favorite marinara sauce
- create your own delicious sauces (pesto, garlic butter…)
- add to soups with your favorite veggies and/ or meat
- make a classic tortellini salad
Since is soup season I decided to make a big pot of tortellini soup with lots of veggies! Kale and carrots paired my tortellini soup really well. Now I must mention that I used fresh Roma tomatoes from my garden which turned into quite a delicious and flavorful sauce, but off course canned tomatoes works just fine. However, this is tomato season, so if you either grow your own or shop at the farmers market, keep in mind that you can use your fresh tomatoes in this tasty soup recipe.
This veggie tortellini soup is a warming and comforting dish, perfect for those cool fall or cold winter nights. It’s incredibly easy to make and doesn’t require a lot of time, steps or effort.
What better way to welcome the cool season than with a GIANT warm bowl of soup? So let’s make some!!
- 9oz refrigerated tortellini
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ cups diced tomatoes, about 6-7 (I used Roma)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 med white onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven. Add onion and sauté until translucent (3-4 minutes). Add garlic and sauté until fragrant (2 mins). Next add in the tomatoes (can be substituted for canned, same measurement) and tomato paste, stir and allow it to sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add broth, carrots and sea salt, stir, cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Lastly add in the kale and tortellini, cover, turn heat to low and let it simmer for 6-7 minutes.
- Serve hot