This 20-minute Black Bean Mushroom Carrot Soup is a quick and effortless meal and great source of nourishment and fulfillment.
Just the other day I woke up craving my childhood favorite Black Bean Soup. My Mother would blend the beans into a thick sauce-like and add broth and veggies to it, sometimes she would add pasta or rice too. On occasion it would just be plain black beans, kinda like refried beans but a little more soupy. I remember it being so delicious!
Whenever my Mother made this soup, we would always enjoy it as a main course because it was very filling and nourishing. Something I can appreciate even more nowadays, being a mother and understanding the importance of nourishing meals and how challenging this can be when life gets too busy.
Well, the funny thing is life is too busy most of the time. So I am always looking for quick and easy meals for my family, that are still tasty and nourishing, and I think I re-discovered a really good one.
Aside from nourishment and fulfillment, this black bean mushroom and carrot soup is very warming and comforting, which is something I didn’t exactly need growing up in tropical Brazil but since I now live in New England, it couldn’t be a better fit 🙂
This soup comes together effortlessly and in 20 quick minutes you will be serving what could potentially be you next favorite soup!
How To Make This Black Bean Soup
Simply start by sautéing the shallots until fragrant, and carrots and mushrooms until the edge starts to soften. The wine is optional but it adds a depth of flavor that I personally love in this soup.
To achieve this incredible texture you will need to blend half of the can of beans. This will help thicken the sauce and add a real bean flavor, while you still get the full beans as well.
Lastly you add some fresh greens which could be either Kale, spinach or collard greens. If you end up using spinach, be sure to add once the soup is completely done cooking. It won’t take much for the spinach to cook, while the kale and collard greens might need up to 5 minutes of simmering to get to a softer consistency.
This Black Bean Mushroom Soup is absolutely perfect as is (vegetarian and vegan if using vegetable stock instead of beef broth) but you can add shredded beef or chicken to it if you need the additional protein.
Black Bean Mushroom Carrot Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole shallot, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 can 15oz black beans
- 1 cup vegetable or beef broth
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 pinch sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- Heat oil in a medium soup pot or dutch oven. Add in shallots and cook until fragrant (2 mins). Add carrots, sauté (2mins) then add in mushrooms.
- Season with salt, fresh ground pepper, red pepper flakes and fresh thyme. Stir and continue to sauté (2 mins). Add red wine and cook until reduced.
- Meanwhile pour half of a can of black beans into a food processor or blender and pulse to form a thick bean sauce.
- Add vegetable or beef broth, bean sauce and remaining can of beans into the soup pot and stir. Cover and bring soup to a boil (3-5 mins).
- Add kale, stir and simmer for up to 5 minutes. Serve