This Mediterranean Hummus Salad brings creamy hummus and vibrant fresh vegetables together to create a delightfully light summer dish. The perfect side dish or party platter, this fresh salad will bring tons of flavor and color to any table.
There’s something special about the foods and flavors of the Mediterranean. Fresh, bright, and zesty, you can never go wrong with Sheet Pan Mediterranean Cod or Instant Pot Mediterranean Quinoa while sipping on a glass of white wine in the summer. The colors and special flavors from the region are one of a kind.
That’s why I love this Mediterranean Hummus Salad recipe so much. Packed full of creamy and filling hummus and fresh summer vegetables, this salad can not only fill you up but make you feel amazing. Indulge in the rich, tangy flavors of this salad while lounging by the pool, enjoying a summer picnic, or with friends at your next summer grill night.
One of the best parts about this hummus salad is how simple it is to make and customize. Already gluten free, grain free, and vegetarian, it’s easy to make dairy free, nut free, and vegan as well. Make your salad just the way you like by mixing up the ingredients, adding more, or making a few simple substitutions (I’ve included lots of suggestions for you below).
This salad is not only a feast for your tastebuds but also a feast for your eyes! Multi-colored cherry tomatoes, deep green cucumbers, and earth-toned olives are coated in glossy olive oil and served on a platter to really command attention. This gorgeous combination of colors and textures is sure to make this salad the star of your next potluck or get-together.
How to make homemade hummus
Although this salad can be made with store bought hummus, I highly recommend making your own using my original chickpea hummus recipe. This creamy, smooth, and tangy spread is made from chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and spices. It’s the perfect beginner hummus recipe and is sure to please a crowd.
I promise that making your own hummus is not nearly as scary as it sounds! All you need is a food processor or a high-powered blender and the right recipe. Lucky for you, I have six fantastic hummus recipes for you to try!
If you’re looking to shake things up in the flavor department, try my pumpkin seed hummus or one of my many paleo or vegan hummus recipes. These uniquely flavored spreads combine fun textures and ingredients to create a variety of different, yet delicious hummus experiences.
How to make a Mediterranean salad with hummus
Begin by arranging a few butter lettuce leaves onto half of a large platter; they should overlap slightly to create a bed for your other veggies. Spread your hummus of choice on the other half of the platter.
Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, and olives in a separate bowl and drizzle with oil, salt, and pepper. Give the mixture a good toss, then spoon it onto the butter lettuce leaves and hummus. Finish it off with an extra drizzle of oil, paprika, pine nuts, and fresh basil.
More add-in options
One of the best things about this Mediterranean salad is that it’s completely customizable and versatile. Let this basic combination of ingredients inspire you to explore the wonderful world of Mediterranean flavors and textures:
- Use different types of hummus, such as avocado and jalapeno hummus or beet and cauliflower hummus.
- Serve the salad alongside some pita instead of lettuce. Try my spicy pita chips to add a craveable crunch!
- Turn this side dish into a main course by adding my grilled split chicken or Mediterranean shrimp on top.
- If you love tangy, citrusy flavors, replace the olive oil drizzle with a citrus vinaigrette or Greek salad dressing.
- Load it with nutrients! Replace the butter lettuce with a combination of basil, spinach, kale, and romaine.
- Pack in the protein with whole roasted chickpeas on your Mediterranean salad. Keep everything simplistic with these classic roasted chickpeas or bump up the flavor with my spicy roasted chickpeas.
- Looking for a way to add even more veggies to your diet? Feel free to get creative with the veggies you use in this salad. Red onion, carrots, and bell peppers are a few classic add-ins you can try.
Looking for more fresh summer salads?
- Cantaloupe Peach Salad with Fresh Mozzarella
- Instant Pot Mediterranean Potato Salad
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Simple Chickpea Salad
Mediterranean Hummus Platter
- 16 oz hummus
- 4-6 butter lettuce leaves (whole)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 mini cucumbers
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup olives, pitted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch paprika
- fresh basil
- pine nuts (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Arrange butter lettuce leaves on one end of a serving platter.
- Spread hummus onto the opposite side of the platter, covering at least half of the platter.
- In a separate bowl combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, feta and olives. Season with 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Give it a toss to combine.
- Transfer tomato cucumber feta salad to the hummus platter, toss it over the butter lettuce overlapping the hummus.
- Drizzle remaining 1 tbsp olive oil over the hummus, add a pinch of paprika and pine nuts (if using). Garnish the platter with fresh basil.