Out of meal prep ideas? This Keto Steak and Cauliflower Rice Meal Prep bowl is low carb, filling, healthy, and the perfect recipe for weekday lunches!
Table of Contents
Want to know the best way to start your week off right? Meal prepping! There’s no better feeling than having a healthy and delicious breakfast, lunch, or dinner ready to grab and go.
I love making a big batch of Instant Pot Shrimp Meal Prep on Sundays to enjoy for lunches but when I’m craving something a little more hearty, I go with this Keto Steak and Cauliflower Rice Meal Prep recipe. It’s a filling, protein-packed, and low carb meal that’s super delicious for lunches and dinner.
Tossing cauliflower rice and arugula together gives this meal prep recipe much more substance and nutrition. Dressed with pomegranate seeds and lemon or lime juice, every bite tastes exceptionally bright. It’s the perfect complement to the seared steak tips on top.
How does meal prepping work?
Taking an afternoon or a day to prepare meals for the week ahead is a great way to save time, eat on a budget, stick to your goals/diet, and help you avoid eating out. It’s best to keep the meals simple so you’re not exhausting yourself to get it all done.
Use these tips if you’re just starting out with meal prep:
- You can meal prep breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even snacks. Pick which meals you want to tackle and make a list of all of the ingredients you need to buy.
- Pick one day of the week to get it done. Sunday is a great day for meal prep because then everything is ready for the week ahead.
- Invest in some great airtight, microwave-safe, and dishwasher-safe containers.
- Always include a protein source and vegetables (for lunches and dinner at least). This sets you on the right track, ensures every meal is filled with nutrients, and keeps you fuller longer.
Steak meal prep bowl ingredients
- Steak tips – Either cook a fresh sirloin steak (or any cut of beef) or use up leftover steak and cut it into bite-sized pieces. The steak tips are seasoned with salt and pepper, but you could go a step above and use fresh herbs or herb-seasoned salt instead.
- Cauliflower rice – This low carb and keto-friendly alternative to regular white or brown rice is so delicious and full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. You can make your own homemade cauliflower rice using really simple ingredients or buy it frozen to keep the recipe as easy as possible.
- Arugula – This peppery leafy green is tossed with the cooked cauliflower rice for added nutrition. If you’re not a fan of arugula, use spinach instead.
- Pomegranate seeds – These are optional, but add a light sweetness to the cauliflower and arugula salad.
- Lemon or lime juice – To give the salad a pop of bright citrus.
How to make steak and cauliflower rice for meal prep
You can always count on steak tips and cauliflower rice when you’re out of keto meal prep ideas. This recipe is really easy to make so you can toss everything together on Sunday afternoon and enjoy it all week long:
Step 1: Season the steak tips with salt and pepper or homemade herb salt. Heat some olive oil in a cast iron pan and sear the steak tips for about 5 to 7 minutes per side.
Step 2: Place your cauliflower rice in a skillet. Pour the water over top and season with salt. Cover with a lid and cook until it’s soft and tender. When it’s ready, toss the rice with the cilantro.
Step 3: Wash and dry the arugula, then place it in a bowl. Add the pomegranate seeds, salt, pepper, and fresh citrus juice. Add the cooked cauliflower rice to the bowl and toss to combine.
Step 4: Assemble the meal prep containers by placing the arugula and cauliflower rice on one side. Add a few steak tips and a lemon wedge to the other side, then store the containers in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
Want to serve this as a meal instead? Layer the cauliflower rice and arugula onto a serving platter. Top it with the steak tips and serve!
- If you aren’t keto – Feel free to make this meal prep bowl with regular rice, cilantro lime brown rice, quinoa, couscous, or your favorite grain.
- Instead of steak – Use cooked chicken breasts or thighs, or turkey breast.
- Add more to the bowls – Like roasted squash, cauliflower mash, polenta, carrot fries, chickpeas, or brussels sprouts.
- If you want to change up the salad – Swap it for this chickpea salad, apple cranberry frisée salad, roasted vegetable salad, or cannellini salad.
Storing and reheating
To store, keep the airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days. I don’t recommend leaving them any longer because the greens will wilt and lose their freshness.
You can enjoy these steak bowls cold, heat the steak tips separately for 1 or 2 minutes in the microwave, or reheat the whole meal in the microwave.
Looking for more easy low carb meal prep ideas?
- Salmon and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Low Carb Keto Beef Stew
- Herb Roasted Chicken
- Keto Tuscan Salmon Skillet
- Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna
Keto Steak and Cauliflower Rice Meal Prep
- 1 1/2 lb steak tips
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 16 oz cauliflower rice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup cilantro or parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (optional)
- fresh lemon/ lime juice
- Season steak tips with salt and pepper. You can use seasoned salt with herbs.
- Heat oil in cast iron until very hot. Add steak tips and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side. Do not disturb the steak, only flip it once. When done transfer to a plate and cover it with foil
- Meanwhile add cauliflower rice to a shallow pan or skillet. Add water and season with salt. Cover and cook on low heat for 8-10 minutes. Add cilantro and toss to combine.
- Rinse arugula and add to a medium bowl. Toss in pomegranate seeds, if using. Season with salt and pepper and fresh lemon juice.
- Add cauliflower rice to arugula bowl and toss to combine.
- If serving as a meal, transfer cauliflower rice and arugula to a serving platter and top with steak tips. If meal prepping, divide into three glass containers add steak and a slice of lemon.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.